Friday, December 22, 2006

Replacing my Saab's Key Battery

Figuring out how to replace my Saab's key battery was such a pain i decided to write about it.

In mid 2006 I purchased a 2002 Saab 93 SE. The first few months were uneventful. I had to figure out why the I could never turn off the headlights (daytime running lights are a permanent feature), that's about it. Five or so months later i start to get a 'replace key battery' warning message. After ignoring it for a month or so, I decided to block out a Saturday to get it fixed. At 4pm Sat I take it to the Saab dealership. The service departments closes at noon, so i get a salesman to help. he tells me to just pop the back part off with a screwdriver and pop in a new battery. Easy enough. I pop the back off and make a run to CVS and Radio Shack before i start to figure out that this battery isn't used too often in the USA. I finally find one in a 'battery plus' (i think that is what it was called) a few days later. Pop the battery in, click unlock, and...nothing. I scour the owners manual and find Nothing. I search the Internet for an hour and finally find some obscure page that says to click the unlock button 4 times. Kinda surprisingly, it worked.

No comments: